What is Wellness?
Wellness is being in good physical and mental health. Because both are linked, problems in one area can impact the other so making healthier choices can lead to overall wellness in both your physical and mental health.
Remember that wellness is not the absence of illness or stress. You can still strive for wellness even if you are experiencing these challenges in your life.
Wellness strategies can be achieved by a combination of the following:
Follow a Healthy Lifestyle
- Don’t smoke or use addictive substances.
- Limit alcohol intake.
- Eat healthy foods and exercise regularly.
- Monitor your weight, blood pressure, sleep patterns, and other important health indicators including oral (teeth and gum) health.
Work with a Primary Care Doctor
- Communication between people with mental health problems, mental health professionals, and primary care providers is essential.
- See a primary care physician regularly (at least twice a year).
- Know about medications or alternative treatments.
- Review and act on results of check-ups and health screenings.
- Monitor existing and/or new symptoms.
- Speak up about any concerns or doubts.